The Mount Pleasant Village BIA, a not-for-profit organization, is undertaking a public art process to commission temporary public art to be installed on BIA-owned decorative poles. The life-span of the art is expected to last 1-2 years. A clear protective coating will be applied by the BIA in order to help preserve the work.
Question: What does 'connection to the neighbourhood' mean?
Answer: Roughly speaking, we will look at all of the postal codes from the candidates, put them into three equally sized groups according to distance from the BIA, then award 3 points for the closest, 2 points for the next closest, and 1 point for the furthest. This may very well end up being 1) our ward, 2) our city, and 3) the GTA; we just don't know as of yet.
Question: Is printed digital artwork allowed to be adhered to the pole itself in lieu of painting directly on the pole?
Answer: We'd much much prefer something to be painted directly on the pole itself; but won't say 100% no to a wrap. Basically, once we have a majority of artists registered, we'll discuss with all of them and evaluate accordingly.
Question: While I currently live further downtown, I grew up around the corner from Mount Pleasant, on Tilson, and hold the neighborhood very dear to my heart! Participating in a public art project in the neighborhood would mean a lot to both myself and my family. I was wondering if there is any way this could be considered in place of my current postal code?
Answer: Absolutely yes. The postal code is primarily requested as a rough 'gauge' of connection to the neighbourhood. Other considerations such as the stated one (grew up in the area, work in the area, etc...) may also be considered.
Question: Where on the application form would you like artists to communicate previous experience in painting? Or will this instead be evaluated in the review of our recent work?
Answer: Additional considerations for previous work can be described in the 'provide a link to recent work' field.
The following businesses remain operational in some capacity. To jump down to restaurants and other food providers, click here.
Here's a list of businesses in Mount Pleasant Village that are currently offering things online or offering alternate means of selling products or services.
3. Making Music Together are offering live streaming, interactive 20 minute music sessions for children based on their Music Together classes. Usually one in the morning and a shorter lullaby in the evening. It's great for families with children from birth to 7 yrs. They encourage using things you find in your house for instruments and they explore different songs from their class collections. For more information on their classes you can visit their website or ask to join their FB group. Make sure your setting include receiving ALL notifications so you know when music is happening.
5. The Village Health Clinic is offering virtual health care services for naturopathic medicine via Telemedicine. This can include acute immune care (virtual ' walk in care' - this is not COVID testing), stress, hormones, heart health, gut concerns, skin concerns. They have 15 minute free consults if interested.
They are also hosting a free webinar on March 27th on how to stay Healthy, Wealthy & Wise (partnered up with Journey 2 Freedom & Edward Jones) for anyone who is interested. You can find all this information on their website or through instagram! https://thevillagehealthclinic.ca/
7. Compass Dermatology is offering virtual and telephone-based Dermatology consultations (referral may be required from your family physician—but this can be accomplished via telephone or virtual consultation as well). They are also offering virtual skincare consultations with their skincare expert, Patricia. Their skincare offerings include SkinCeuticals, Alumier, Vivier, Neocutis, and Emepelle. Please text or call 647-351-9277 for further information.
8. ExplorerHop is offerig e-learning programs and e-camps for all ages. Starting with e-Camps in Young Entrepreneur and Camp Millionaire and then moving to Adult Camp Millionaire (Financial literacy) and classes on Blogging and SEO. Kids classes are M-F from 10-12 or 1-3. Adult classes are after 5pm. Sign up at ExplorerHop.com
9. Second Nature Boutique is offering daily items posted online. Shipping with Canada Post or option for curbside pickup. Just follow them on Instagram to view the daily items.https://www.instagram.com/secondnatureboutique/
10. Solo Piano Studio is offering online piano classes. Sign up at http://solopianostudio.com. Solo Piano Studio is a private music studio located in Mount Pleasant Village Toronto emerged from pianist and composer Teo Milea`s desire to pass on his knowledge of piano and music theory, gathered in over 30 years of experience in the professional music field.
Teo Milea is an RCM Certified Teacher. His own exposure to exceptional international teachers during his developmental years makes him a great communicator, an intuitive and creative teacher.
Classes address all levels – beginners, intermediate and advanced, each student is taught individually. One session comprises both theory and piano practice, following the Royal Conservatory of Music syllabus.
11. Solo Piano Studio is also doing online piano concerts every Saturday starting March 28 at 2pm on his official FB page
Teo Milea is a Toronto-based neo-classical pianist and composer who brings dozens of colours to the audience through his music. The energy bursting out of his piano paints souls, fills the emptiness and brings smiles.
In over 25 years of musical activity, he has played with improvisation, until he started to perform his compositions. At present, Teo Milea brings to the audience a creation that successfully combines the specific of two worlds: the classical and the new one, of the 21st century.
“Some very talented people can construct pseudo-narratives from the music itself. Teo Milea has the rare ability to do all this with only the use of his piano…Milea has enough talent in him to become not only one of the next great piano players but composers, too”. - The Scene Magazine (Toronto)
12. Helene Clarkson is selling made-in-Toronto easy to wear women's clothing that can be mixed and matched, flipped inside out or front-to-back to create endless options. https://www.HeleneClarkson.com
14. Art-Kitect Conservation Inc. is offering Free Collection Assessments, Artwork Consultations, Artwork Proposals. Alternatively, expand your art knowledge through a Series of Tips; Series of Demonstrations; Cool Photos and Videos of us Preserving and Restoring Canadian Works of Art. Visit https://www.Art-Kitect.com or follow on IG @artkitect_artschool and FB
15. The Neighbourhood Clinic is offering Telehealth appointments with Dr. Leslie Solomonian ND., Dr. Of Naturopathic Medicine. This is a service that they have always offered and are happy to continue during through the mandatory closures. They have had many inquiries regarding immunity worries and associated anxiety. Any and all medical health concerns can be addressed.
In addition, you can purchase gift certificates on their website.
Visit our blog (website) and social media feeds (@TheNeighbhourhoodClinic, Instagram, Twitter) for helpful information related to living a pain free and healthy life. Any topics that you would like to know more about, please let us know! Links for social media can be found at https://www.TheNeighbourhoodClinic.com
16. The Chef Upstairs will begin remote 2-way interactive cooking classes beginning the week of March 30th. For more information, visit https://thechefupstairs.com/pages/virtual-cooking-classes
17. Gravity Design is offering Digital graphic design services (eg., update your website, Mailchimp broadcasts, communication docs). Visit https://www.gravitydesign.ca for more information.
19. Club Kidnasium: Join Coach Anna Online! Anna will be online Tuesday-Thursdays with an interactive physical activity program for children to enjoy.
Tuesdays 9:30AM - Rec Home Gymnastics (great for children 3-5 years old)
Wednesday 3:30PM - Home Strength & Flexibility (great for children 6 and older or in our advance gymnast and tumbling classes)
Thursdays 9:30AM - Parent & Tot Home Gymnastics (great for children 3 and under). Catch Anna on FB LIVE (search for Club Kidnasium)
Meet Santa and his friends from 11am to 3pm. Friends will include Peppa Pig, Olaf from Frozen, Frosty the Snowman, and a Minion! They will be situated along Mount Pleasant Rd between Eglinton and Millwood Aves. In addition, watch for some special activities from the following businesses (more TBA):
Drop-in Play at Kidnasium from 12:15 - 3:15
Mosaic Workshop at At Origin Coffee
Gingerbread House building at Mason's Fine Foods
Caricaturist from Penny Paper Co. and complimentary Cheeky Monkey Cosmetics manicures for parents care of Collected Joy
Free paper ornament colouring and decorating and discounted drop in play at Midtown's Tiny Tots.
Drop in for swiss-style Ski Chalet menu for visitors, featuring a family-style fondue dish at Mason's Fine Foods.
Pottery show and sale at Creative Clay Studio from Dec 6th to Dec 8th.
Design Department will have Hot Apple cider, visit our Lovebirds Gee & Tee, Cookies, gift wrapping and lots of fun ideas!
and much more! Keep checking back for more additions as we get closer to the event date.
Win up to $250 MPV Dollars by taking part in the Scavenger Hunt. Check back for ballot pickup locations. The scavenger hunt will feature questions about your favourite shops and businesses along the street. The ballots received that have the most correct answers can win $250, $100, and $50 MPV dollars valid at dozens of MPV shops.
Between Dec 1st and Dec 21st, vote in select stores for your favourite holiday store windows for our 9th annual Window Wanderland competition. 3 ballots will be drawn at random on Dec 22nd, and those drawn will win $250, $100, and $50 MPV dollars valid at dozens of MPV shops.
The Mount Pleasant Village BIA has been approved for a grant from the City of Toronto in order to have a mural painted on a neighbourhood building. The building in question is located at 518 Mount Pleasant Rd., and the mural would go on the North Facing Wall facing southbound traffic.
You will be essentially be responsible for putting a smile on the faces of thousands of people travelling to work every morning.
To access the Streetscape Master Plan click here: https://www.mountpleasantvillage.ca/docs/StreetscapePresentationSlides.pdf
Updates with Questions and Answers: